Sunday, February 18, 2024

Opinion poll - learning sessions

Crew mates,

Johnny Mercer, at US Sailing Foundation, has been quoted, "Education weighs nothing, can be taken on every voyage, and can never be taken from you."  I'd like to organize one or more in-person learning sessions to talk about sailboat racing as a crew.  I have a lot of good presentation materials and instructional videos queued up, and some interactive dialog is always useful. 

These sessions could be on a weeknight evening or maybe Sunday afternoon, starting the first week of March or so, somewhere in the St. Joseph or Kalamazoo areas or both, at someone's residence (like mine in Coloma) or a restaurant or meeting space of some kind.  I have a video projector, so we could meet almost anywhere there is space.

I have in mind these potential topics, but I'm open to others you might want to discuss... 

Could you take this very short learning sessions online preference poll so I can learn what might work for you?  Many thanks!

Update on February 26, 2024: 
15 responses to the poll are received to date, and the preliminary results are tabulated here.
Thanks so much for joining in!  Here are some observations of the results: 
  • Preference for day/time is a tie for Thursday evening and Sunday afternoon, edging out Wednesday evening and Tuesday evening and then Friday evening.  Some votes received for all the options, and one write-in for Saturday afternoon.
  • Good suggestions for potential meeting places received.  I am checking into these.
  • For topics, transitions technique has everyone's vote (100%), race strategy/tactics trails at 87%, boatspeed/sail trim earns 80%, racing rules receives 76%, sails/sail controls earns 73%, racing rules and safety procedures are tied at 67%.  Physicists (topic E above) number only 60% - boo, hiss!  
Great responses and thoughtful!  I will use the results and schedule some meetings shortly.  Will plan to do some by Zoom and some in person.  Most everyone who wants to should be able to participate that way.  I will continue to update this here if more responses are received.

No comments:

Post a Comment