The unit has visual and voice prompts for electrode placement and for performing cardiopulmonary resuscitation. It is compact and ruggedized, with water, dust, and drop resistance.
Here is a well-illustrated brochure for the Philips HeartStart OnSite AED and here is the user manual for the Philips HeartStart OnSite AED. It's simple to operate, but it would be worthwhile to take a look at this manual to be prepared to help keep us safe. It will be stored in the cabinet in the starboard quarterberth, and it is identified on the inventory/safety diagram posted at the nav station.
I feel it's important to have a functional AED on board anytime we are away from immediate medical care. It might just save a life.

Nice to have one of these on board. I reviewed the manual a little bit and noticed something on page 3-1 I'd like to emphasize: "It is important to dry the patient's chest completely, so the pads stick well to the dry, bare skin". I've heard that there is the possibility of the current conducting through water or sweat on someone's chest rather than going where it's needed. They can be laying in water, that's fine, there just can't be a short circuit between the pads.
ReplyDeleteThat's a good comment, Dave. The sales rep also told me that the shock sometimes does not transmit for someone with a very hairy chest. I ordered a second set of electrode pads in case that happens, so that the unit can be used a second time.
ReplyDelete